Dear OCs around the world
What a year 2021 has been and whilst temping to list all the challenges, which there have been so many, I am going to focus on all the positives at College and Old Boys.
Solar – R2,5m donated to Maritzburg College!
This is such a significant event, not only does it ensure College can now operate 24/7/365, with the endless load shedding now addressed, but the environmental impacts are enormous in reducing the School’s carbon footprint and in this day and age, it’s of fundamental importance we do everything to help our planet.
- Assets leveraged via the Old Boys Memorial Trust have assisted College to deliver significant infrastructure this year:
- A multi-purpose car park on the terraces in front of Clark House with seating for 1500 boys and staff for outdoor events. The total cost was R 1.6m and the loan from the trust to assist was R 1.3m
- A new food court and increased media centre facilities above the food court
Our Central Business team, College Business, under the management of Kevin Smith (OC 1985) and our ultra-amazingly efficient Operations Manger, Sue Buchanan-Clarke, supported by Zinhle Cele, Sally Upfold, Jenny Baptista, Caitlyn Brent and Chantal Randall have been exceptional this year as a significant amount of change has taken place.
- New, fully integrated website launched – have a look MCOBA
- New technology, branded “CollegeConnect” is in the testing stage ready to launch in Jan 2022. This is a game changer for our College Community that has a vision to make Old Boys far more relevant in so many ways by:
- Empowering career development,
- Wealth creation via business-to-business opportunities,
- Skills and resource sharing, and
- Relationship building: networking and support
- Event booking platform within College Connect including an online payment platform soon to be released to all OCs in time for our 125th Anniversary in January
- The delivery of a new Commercial WhatsApp solution to revolutionise how we communicate and create groups and communities, is getting launched thanks to generous support of Richard Nischk (OC 2006) owner of www.apexcrm.co.za
- A revived newsletter returned through 2021 and will continue to be refined in 2022 to meet the needs of Old Boys
- Well attended AGM with a clean audit and proposed amendments to the Constitution approved keeping the MCOBA relevant and up to date in 2021
- Electronic debit order system implemented and our first run successfully completed
Through 2021 we have hosted numerous events including:
- The Passing of the Bronze Basher
- A Matric Old boys’ induction with a record number of 258 boys, being 98% of the 2021 Matrics, inducted into Old Boys. Watch the highlights here.
- Veteran’s Open Day including a tour of the school and a 3-course meal in Vic Hall
- Weaner project events hosted with the farmers in Underberg and Winterton
- Branch events across the country including: Zululand, Durban, Midlands, Highway, North Coast, Cape Town and Pietermaritzburg.
- Old Boys Strategy Session hosted at the Kent Pavilion
- Remembrance Day Service
- 90th Birthday celebration for Honorary Life Member, Keith Olivier (Class of 1948)
- Class of 1961 60-year Reunion lunch
- Book launch of “25 Great South Africa Rugby Schools” in which Maritzburg College features; a chapter written by our own Matthew Marwick (Class of 1988)
2022 promises to be an exceptional year as we celebrate a milestone for Old Boys, our 125th year.
You will have seen the first event to celebrate our 125th Year for Old Boys, being 125 dinners across the globe and I do hope you have offered to host one and have invited all your local Old Boys to join you for an evening of “Everything: Red – Black & White”.
Reunion is set for May 28th 2022 and I really look forward to welcoming you back to College to enjoy special bonds and I hope that you will walk around the campus, that is looking so splendid, and just absorb everything “College” with friend of old and new, this is your heritage.
May I wish you and your families and wonderful Christmas and New Year,
Pro Aris et Focus